EXPEDITION TO MOUNT OIAUTUKEKEAL.
Everybody knows how dangerous Papua New Guinea is so I had to go and see for myself.
It wasn't until I'd caught a lift to the place where the trucks pick up passengers heading east along the coast that I realised how vulnerable I was; and only because a young woman came up to offer me some advice on "personal safety".
"They're all looking at you like fresh meat" she told me. "Especially the police".
"Really?", I replied naively.
"So what are you doing here anyway?" she enquired.
"I was told this is the place to catch a ride down to Amazon Bay. Or at least to where the canoes leave from."
"Okay! There won't be another one until tomorrow morning so it is best that you come home with us for the night and we'll bring you back in the morning." she said as her husband arrived next to us. Her name was Violet and his James.
After buying a pile of food from the supermarket we left town in a small ute and half an hour later arrived in a picturesque village beside a small river the seperated the jungle from the grassy area around the houses.

0 Comments